Echoes of Martin Luther King


There can be no transforming of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion.
.
Carl Jung
.
.

Martin Luther King, from his last speech, April 3, 1968:

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!
..
.
.
From Barack Obama’s acceptance speech, November 4, 2008:
.
The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but America – I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you – we as a people will get there.

It's been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this date in this election at this defining moment change has come to America.

______________


It's been a long time coming, but I know a change is gonna come.

Sam Cooke, A Change is Gonna Come, 1964
_________________


Listening to Obama’s brilliant acceptance speech was an extremely emotional event. I have never seen so many people crying so much. The echoes of Martin Luther King’s last speech were clearly there. Obama’s speech brought back memories of the assasination traumas of the sixties, yet also provided a way to finally move past them, to move back into the territory of hope.
.
.
Links



http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkivebeentothemountaintop.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-08-29-obama-video_N.htm
.
.

Last part of the I Have Been to the Mountaintop speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0FiCxZKuv8
.
A Change is Gonna Come
.
.
.
.